Today was an emotional day as Damon and I went to the courthouse to speak and hear the ruling on Benson Hoovers sentence regarding his Felony/DUI ( blood alcohol level .229).
Prior to going into the courtroom we got to read his pre sentence investigation report. It stated that he had been out drinking all night and into the morning and had gotten a call to come hang out with his friends early that afternoon. He stopped at a liquor store and then got into his car and drove over there which is when he lost control of the vehicle. It went into detail about how much he drank that night. It also explained what the three extra bottles of liquor were doing in his car. It was a very long report and looking back now I don't know if I should have read it or not. I am not quite sure if it helped. I was sad to learn he consumed alcohol even after the accident and taking an alcohol treatment course. He also took marijuana to calm down his anxiety, which he said his doctor told him to take (gee my doctor gives me anti anxiety meds...hmm?. I also learned about his past and how he had a hard life which he said lead him to heavy drugs and alcohol. I noticed we had some similarities in our lives growing up but who hasn't had a hard life right? Its the choices we make that define the person we become. Yet I don't do drugs, or drink. In his report he did express remorse which I was appreciative of however after reading how he still consuming illegal substances it made it numb.
Once in the court room his attorney got up and spoke about how he was remorseful but that there was nothing he could do to change what had happened. Then he got up and said that he was sorry for what had happened. I thought he would say something more but I guess I should be thankful he said anything at all. They talked about all the legalities of the situation what we had agreed to in the plea...etc.
Then I got up and presented the judge with pictures post accident of the car along with my hand. I expressed my feelings on the pre sentence investigation report and how everyone has hard lives but we also have choices. I asked him if I was allowed to read my Victims Impact Statement, which I did. I expressed that I knew it wasn't any of our decisions it was his decision but that the next time I saw a drunk driver I didn't want it to be him who had killed someone and I didn't want it to be my fault because I didn't do enough. Those of you who know me obviously know that I cried through the entire thing. Even from the moment I walked in the courtroom.
The judge sentenced Mr. Hoover 3 years in ComCor and 1 year for the DUI however the DUI charge will be served during the 3 years while in ComCor so basically just 3 years in ComCor. He also has to do a 45 day intense treatment there. Once out of ComCor he is required to do 200 hours of community service. He will always have a Felony on his record and his license is still revoked and will be for the DUI charge. In case you are wondering ComCor is a lock down facility where they monitor you however you are allowed to go to work during the day but are required to be back at a certain time at night and it's locked down. They have so many requirements and he only has one chance. If he fails or doesn't comply ONCE he is sentenced to prison for 3 years.
I guess there really isn't much more to say. I know that most of you guys have been wanting to know so I thought that I would post this to let you know so I don't have to repeat myself 20 times. Thank you so much for all your help and support through this whole thing. I love you all and appreciate all your prayers.
Friday, August 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh Christina, I know how hard this day had to have been for you. I am so grateful for the courage you had to go in, read your statement and tell them what you thought. I am glad that he got the ComCor so that he will be able to pay you guys the damages, like we talked about. I love so much and am grateful that you lived through this accident! You and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers. You are a strong woman, Chris, even if you have a hard day, that doesn't me you aren't strong and capable to get through this! Love you!
ReplyDelete